Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cabinet Sticker Shock - January 5, 2013


The Menard's kitchen team put together a cabinet list, based on the designs I showed in my prior post (main view here). 


The first project quote for a total of nine (9) base cabinets, eleven (11) upper cabinets and a 15" wide pantry, with the upgrade for the Parker Whiskey Black finish (+15%), Ellington Stained Glass inserts (in pantry/table area and over sink), matched stained interiors and five piece drawer fronts, with an estimated delivery date about 2-3 weeks out.  OK, drum roll please, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:

$10,566.18 


Yes, note this cabinet total is $566 over my ENTIRE kitchen remodeling budget, just for the 'non-custom' SALE cabinets, including a 'free' sink base....OUCH!

Needless to say, I reviewed the cabinet options and add-ons and made several trips back to the store in the coming days, and after three attempts, I was able to get my budget down to a more 'modest' $8,800, but still way over my plan for the cabinets (estimated around $5,000 of my $10,000 total).

Next, I made a side-trip back to Lowe's, explaining my situation, and asking their kitchen designer's advice regarding a similar line that might be more cost-effective.  She worked off my revised cabinet listing and priced my kitchen using the Shenandoah line using their Winchester Cherry Square cabinet door, cherry wood overlay doors in a Spice finish.  Lowe's had a combination of a 'tiered' discount off kitchen cabinets through January (10% off) plus free internal cabinet upgrades and sink base (about $1,000), but a more lengthy 4-6 week deliver timing, for a total of, drum roll please...

$7,759.54


Yes, still almost $3K over my budget!

O.K., now I spent several sleepless/deprived nights feeling sick to my stomach....wanting to start this project, yet not feeling good about compromising down to stock cabinets.  Thinking there's got to be something between stock cabinets at Lowe's and Home Depot, with their particle board boxes, and no 'fun' features or finishes (probably costing about $3K) and these Menard's and Lowe's options at $8K+.  Where are the well-made $5K cabinets, that are in line with my budget???!!!

Stay tuned, as I actually found my answer...Cabinets-To-Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment